Newbury AC had one of its biggest ever representations at the British Championships held at the Alexander Stadium, Birmingham this weekend, with three athletes proudly wearing the blue vest on the biggest stage nationally. Continue reading
Please note that on Thursday 29th August there will be no regular training due to the fun club championships at CCAT. Events start from 17:45 with senior members welcome to arrive when they can throughout the night.
On Saturday 31st August the club is helping promote the Highclere 10km event by taking over the volunteer roster at Newbury Parkrun. Jeff currently has a full roster, but if anyone else can help on the day please let him know.
Andy Ind was the overall winner of the race, finishing 1 minute ahead of the nearest challenger in 2:21:09. Jenny Eaton was 3rd in the V50 category in 3:07:24.
Report from Andy Tuttle.
The final fixture took place in Hemel Hempstead with hosts Dacorum & Tring on 215.5pts just outscoring Champions City of Salisbury by 2.5 points, with Aldershot Farnham & District on 170pts & Newbury A.C 163.5. Continue reading
British Master Championships – Birmingham
The club had a lot of success at the British Masters Athletics championships in Birmingham over the weekend of 10th/11th August.
- Simon Barrett was 1st in the M65 100 & 400 and 2nd in the 200.
- Craig Beecham was 1st in the M45 long jump & triple jump, 3rd in the 200 & set a new PB of 12.17 to finish 5th in the 100.
- Bob Broadbridge was 1st in the M60 heavy hammer, 2nd hammer and 4th in shot and discuss.
As previously mentioned planning is underway for the 2019 fun club championship to be held on the 29th August at CCAT.
The evening will start from 17:30 for all juniors/parents and any adult members that can attend. In a similar format to last year adult members can arrive later for additional events.
Further details and a timetable can be found below. Please note full details of the events/prizes will be announced on the night.
- 17:30-17:45 – Juniors arrive / registration for short relays. All adult members are welcome too
- 17:45-18:15 – Short relays, hosted by EJ and Gemma. Allocation of teams on the night. Hopefully 1 senior member / parent per team
- 18:15-19:00 – Field events, hosted by Craig, Ryan, Matt & Bob. All seniors and juniors welcome. Rotation between 4 events – Shot, Welly Wanging, Standing Long and Standing Triple jumps.
- 18:30-19:00 – Seniors arrive / registration for long handicap relay. Additional car parking can be found on the common.
- 19:00-19:30 – Long handicap relay, hosted by Mike and Andy. Allocation of teams on the night. The format will change from last year to accommodate juniors/non-runners.
- 19:30 – Pizzas, sandwiches and soft drinks
Craig Beecham travelled to Torino in Italy for the European Masters Games and came away with a gold medal in the long jump.
Competing in the M45 category, Craig’s winning jump of 6.05m came in round two, 37cm ahead of Polish athlete Pawal Szewera in silver.
Youth Nations Cup – 3rd August 2019
Reaching the end of an extremely busy and exciting 2019 season competing Internationally for Great Britain in hammer, Charlotte Payne was selected to represent England at the first ever Youth Nations Cup in Dublin, Ireland. Continue reading
English Schools Champs, Birmingham – 13th July
Newbury had two young athletes qualify for the national schools finals. Charlotte Payne won her first gold medal in the senior girls age group, throwing 57.53m to claim another title in the hammer, following her victory in the intermediate age group last year. Trinity O’Connor set another new PB in the pole vault, as she finished in equal 6th place with a clearance of 3.35m.
Veterans AC Champs, Kingston – 14th July
Bob Broadbridge wasted no time in his first competition as a V60 athlete, smashing two Newbury AC club records at the new weight category with 11.85m in the 5kg shot put and 43.00m in the 1kg discus. Continue reading
NAC are taking over the volunteer roles at Newbury Parkrun on Saturday 31st August, to help promote the Highclere 10km & junior races. The race raises money for the club & this years chosen charity MS Society, with the race profits shared between the two, so hopefully this event will increase the number of race entrants.
If anyone can spare a few hours (you don’t have to be a runner), as a minimum we need to fill the following volunteer roles:-
- 3 x Car park marshal
- 1 x Pre event set-up
- 3 x Time keepers
- 2 x Number checkers
- 2 x Funnel managers
- 4 x Barcode scanners
- 1 x Tail walker
- 2 x Token sorters
- 2 x Marshal
- 1 x Photographer
If we have enough volunteers we can also look at having 5 pace makers and some runners in club colours in the event.
Message from E-J
I have decided that due to the temperature we are going to cancel the session at Fifth Road tonight. There is no shade at Browns Meadow. So even if I scale back the events planned we will struggle to keep the athletes cool. Continue reading