Berkshire Schools – 8th June
Plenty of our junior athletes were representing their schools at Palmer Park. Medal winners include:
- Gold for Maisie Jeger in the U17 300m hurdles with a PB time of 46.58s.
- Gold for Trinity O’Connor in the U20 pole vault with a PB clearance of 3.30m.
- Gold for Phoebe Ryder in the U15 long jump with a PB jump of 4.77m.
- Gold for Charlotte Payne in the U20 hammer with a championship record throw of 60.35m.
- Silver and bronze in the U20 100m hurdles for Bo Stewart and Lilly Gohara, both running PB times of 17.41s and 17.48s respectively.
- Silver and bronze for Kitty Shepard-Cross and Emma Downie in the U20 1500m.
- Silver for Ben Newman in the U17 long jump.
Newbury A.C continued the fine start to the season with 2nd place in the 3rd of 5 Southern Athletic League fixtures, to keep them near the top of Division 2 West.
Men’s 4 x 400 winning relay team
Race report from Mike Robbins
With a number of last minute dropouts, long standing injuries and early season rustiness, Newbury AC could be forgiven for expecting a tough time in their first SAL match of the season at Walton-on-Thames on Saturday. However, a fantastic team effort by all those in attendance pushed the club into second place on the day with 178.5 points; behind Croydon Harriers (209pts) but ahead of the host club Walton AC (162.5pts) and Hillingdon AC (152pts).
Helen Broadbridge was the standout athlete on the day, comfortably winning all three heavy throws – the highlight being a 50.22m throw in the hammer, over 12m clear of her nearest competitor. Continue reading